Whenever I post a cake on my instagram account the audience go a little happy dance crazy for it.
This one especially. Perhaps its the love we all have for lemons? Or the fact that it is cake!
What ever the occasion this cake is a joy to eat and make.
Please me mindful as it has quite an amount of wet ingredients so cooking times may vary. Mine needed at least one hour and 20 minutes. I then left her in the oven to cool completely.
What you will need:
2 cups of water
1 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup of olive oil
juice and zest of one large lemon
2 1/2 cups of gluten free flour ( the recipe calls for normal flour)
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
1 cup of ground almonds
4 eggs beaten
about 5 teaspoons of icing sugar (you could try honey I would heat in a pot over mild heat with the lemon)
zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- Pre heat your oven 170.C
- Grease a pan and line with baking paper (30cm).
- Place the water, sugar olive oil, zest of one lemon into a large bowl and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour and almonds to the liquid mixture and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the beaten eggs and mix until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare your drizzle by combining icing sugar and lemon juice plus the zest to make a runny icing. (or heat honey and lemon juice in a pot)
- Allow the cake to cool and pour drizzle.
This recipe was found in a cookbook called adriatic Kitchen by Barbara Unkovic