Strength training by definition is: a type of physical exercise specializing in the use of resistance to induce muscular contraction which builds the muscle strength anaerobic endurance, and size of skeletal muscles. wikipedia
We need strength training for a number of reasons: to increase bone density, increase muscle, tendon and ligament strength and toughness, assist in the prevention of injury and general wellness.
So how can we build strength without feeling like a body builder.
A muscle will only strengthen when forced to work beyond its normal capacity. Overload can be done by:
- resistance, adding weight to the barbell
- number of repetitions with a particular weight
- number of sets of exercise
by using different exercises equipment
1.By using dumbbells and weights or body weight
2. resistance bands
3. Trx suspension systems
Ok so we know that we need to overload the muscle to get stronger now how do we do this without feeling like a body builder?
the repetition guide.
• Repetitions in the 1-5 range build dense muscle and strength.
• Repetitions in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.
• Repetitions in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size
as a general guide how much you load a muscle depends on what outcome you’d like to see,
Using the repetition guide above, this should assist in your weight room goals. Weight training has so many benefits to your heath that the fear of looking like a body builder should be the last thought going through your mind! Train for the end result and the is your health.